The Cathedral of Christ the King (CTK) is a thriving parish serving close to 6,000 families in Atlanta,
GA. The Cathedral was founded in 1936 and became the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Atlanta in
1956. Currently, CTK serves the parish celebrating three daily masses Monday – Friday, ten weekend
masses and over 100 ministries.
The Cathedral Choirmaster is a full-time position and reports to the Rector of the Cathedral. This
position is responsible for all adult choirs and cantors in collaboration with the Director of Music/
Cathedral Organist. In consultation with the Cathedral Rector, the Director of Music/Cathedral Organist
and other Music Ministry Staff, the Choirmaster is responsible for promoting the development of
authentic liturgical music based on a strong knowledge of scared music from Gregorian chant to current
time. A description of the current music follows. As Choirmaster, this role oversees two masses on
Sundays (10:30 am and noon). Other masses would include, but not limited, to Holy Week, Christmas,
Holy Days of Obligation and Archdiocesan Masses.
• In consultation with the Cathedral Rector and the Director of Music/Cathedral Organist, continue
to advance the existing music program to ensure the highest quality of choirs, individuals,
ensembles, and instrumentalists.
• Ensure that all masses and events have the appropriate Music Ministry staff.
• Primary responsibility for planning and conducting the choir anthems with the Cathedral Choir
for the 10:30 am and noon mass.
• Responsible for all music and scores being ready for rehearsals and masses.
• In collaboration with the Director of Music/Cathedral Organist, recruit, interview/audition and
accept members to participate in Choirs.
• Audition volunteer and paid choir members and coordinate the hiring and payment of other
musicians as needed for Cathedral liturgies and concerts in collaboration with Director of
• Determine and assist in the financial arrangements with Staff Singers.
• Assist other Adult Music Ministry Choirs and ensembles as requested (Coro Hispano, Modern Liturgical Ensemble, Life Teen).
• Produce several weekly ordos for cantors and choirs to sing from at Masses.
• Joint responsibility for oversight and direction of Music Administrative Assistant.
• Participates in periodic review with the Rector of the Cathedral Parish and executes other duties
• In collaboration with the Director of Music/Cathedral Organist prepares the annual budget for
the music program.
• Attends regular staff meetings and department head meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Master’s degree of choral conducting or sacred music
• Experience at a Cathedral, large parish or other large church
• Excellent choir directing skills
• Excellent skills in communication, collaboration, supervision, administration and development
of print materials
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Proficient in computer skills related to music
• Experience in developing a pastoral approach to church music
• Availability to carry out responsibilities in the evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Membership in professional organizations (CMAA, AGO, CRCCM, etc.)
• An exceptional reputation as a musician and individual
• Highly competitive salary for today’s job market
• Professional development opportunities
• Vacation, health benefits, sick leave pre-established per Archdiocesan policy
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and some video examples of live services and printed
materials you have put together. Submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Posted 1 JUL 2022]