Vacancy Announcement, Interim Part-Time Director of Music
Central Congregational United Church of Christ, 2676 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30329
Central’s website: www-Central-ucc.org
To learn more about the United Church of Christ: www.ucc.org
Description of Duties:
- Build a genuine sense of community with the choir and congregation
- Collaborate effectively with the worship planning team
- Conduct and play for the choir and congregation at the 11:00 a.m. Sunday service, pulling in music from many genres, including but not limited to the standard classical repertoire, folk tunes, contemporary anthems and music from around the world
- Play piano for the 8:30 a.m. Sunday worship service
- Make hymn singing an integral part of worship services, inviting congregational participation in creative and inspiring ways
- Plan for and run two weekly choir rehearsals (90 minutes on Wednesday night and 60 minutes on Sunday morning) that allow volunteers who may not be at every rehearsal to participate effectively
- Arrange for, rehearse and coach with soloists and guest instrumental musicians as needed
- Select and prepare preludes, offertories and postludes appropriate for the day
- Handle administrative duties related to review of the weekly orders of service before going to print
- Plan and participate fully in special services as needed throughout the year
- Maintain the choral library in a neat and orderly fashion
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in music from an accredited college/university or applicable experience
- Prior experience in selection and direction of sacred choral and instrumental music
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor, to exercise mature judgment, and to be a dependable and flexible team participant
Salary considerations: The salary, based on approximately 20 hours per week, will be fixed commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the applicant.
Background check: Applicants should be prepared and willing to submit to a standard background check in compliance with our Safe Church policy.
Anticipated term of appointment: While there is not a set ending date, the term of this appointment may run through December 31, 2019.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and other relevant materials highlighting qualifications to email@example.com.
There is no set closing date for applications. The position will remain open until filled.
[Posted 2 JAN 2019]