Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, 731 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30308. 404-874-8664.
Organ Scholar for 2023-24 academic year. Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Atlanta, GA has established an Organ Scholar position in order to fulfill our responsibility to grow, nurture, and teach faithful people who will be leaders in the church. Our setting and our staff have gifts to offer both pastors and musicians: the opportunities of a vibrant Midtown population, a diverse regional membership; a breadth of musical and worship styles; a strong history of excellence in worship and service to the community; and respected pastors and musicians who love to teach.
The Organ Scholar will
- gain practical experience by performing a regular schedule of playing church services, accompanying multiple choral groups, conducting ensembles, and learning the rudiments of administrative duties for a church musician
- be mentored by a nationally recognized church musician
- have a focused time to help discern their career choice
- learn new skills and improve others in preparation for graduate school or career
- be part of an established, large, and diverse music ministry in a church with a strong liturgical focus in an urban setting
- have access to ample practice time on the church’s 73 rank Létourneau pipe organ and multiple pianos
20 hours/week to include Sunday morning services and midweek evening rehearsals
Compensation: $22,000/year. Term length is normally one year but it is negotiable. Assistance with finding affordable housing is provided.
Previous organ scholars have been college graduates, but younger applicants would also be considered.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume including references, and link(s) to samples of organ playing to Sarah Hawbecker at email@example.com.
[Posted 11 MAY 2023]