Vacancy Announcement, Organist / Pianist
Central Congregational United Church of Christ, 2676 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30329
Central’s website: www.Central-ucc.org;
To learn more about the United Church of Christ: www.ucc.org
Description of Duties:
- Collaborate with the Director of Music to build a genuine sense of community in the choir and throughout the congregation.
- Select preludes, offertories and postludes appropriate both thematically and musically for the day and the service (8:30 and 11:00 a.m.), pulling in music from many genres, including but not limited to the standard classical repertoire, folk tunes, and music from around the world
- Make hymn singing an integral part of worship services, inviting congregational participation in creative and inspiring ways
- Play for two weekly choir rehearsals (90 minutes on Wednesday night and 45 minutes on Sunday morning) that allow volunteers who may not be at every rehearsal to participate effectively
- Rehearse with soloists and guest instrumentalists as needed
- Assist with review of the weekly orders of service before going to print
- Participate fully in special services as needed throughout the year
- Assist the Director of Music in maintaining the choral library in a neat and orderly fashion
- Other duties as assigned
- Deep understanding of the role of music in liturgical settings
- High level of technical proficiency at both the organ and piano
- Significant experience as a rehearsal accompanist, comfortable with reading open scores and supporting the Director of Music and the choir to be fully prepared for worship services
- Demonstrated ability to creatively integrate time honored organ and piano literature with the best of more contemporary genres
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor, to exercise mature judgment, and to be a dependable and flexible team participant
Salary considerations: The salary, based on approximately 15 hours per week, will be fixed commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the applicant.
Background check: Applicants should be prepared and willing to submit to a standard background check in compliance with our Safe Church policy.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and other relevant materials highlighting qualifications to email@example.com. There is no set closing date for applications. The position will remain open until filled.
[Posted 22 AUG 2019]