About Pilgrimage United Church of Christ (PUCC)
PUCC is an open and affirming congregation in Marietta, GA. Our shared beliefs:
- We believe that each person is unique, and deeply loved by God
- We accept everyone, wherever they are on life’s journey
- As 21st century Christians, we interpret the teachings of Jesus for our contemporary lives
- We believe that faith requires deep thought and deep feeling
PUCC is non-traditional by nature but come expecting the familiar, as well as some service elements that are new-to-you! Regardless of the style of worship, the service is true to the biblical text and how it applies to ‘real life.’
The position of Pianist/Accompanist at PUCC is a very important ministry as it relates to the church’s worship style. The purpose of the position is to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified. It contributes to the music ministry of the Church by providing piano accompaniment for congregational singing, choir and special music presented in worship services. This is a paid, part time, 7-12 hours per week, support staff position with duties primarily on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, with some additional time during Christmas, Holy Week, and Easter seasons.
The music style of PUCC is traditional and gospel hymns, supplemented with some folk and jazz compositions. Congregational singing will be primarily led using the UCC Hymnal therefore, familiarity with this is important. The Pianist/Accompanist reports to the Music Director, with oversight by the Worship Committee. Work is reviewed through observation, supervisory evaluation, and committee and congregational feedback for effectiveness.
Providing music for weddings and funerals is not included in the basic pianist responsibilities. The Pianist/Accompanist will be consulted regarding these and similar “extraordinary events”, and will be compensated separately for the time required (details handled by the event coordinator).
- Play for Sunday morning worship services (8:30 am and 10:00 am, approximately 1 hr. each), including hymns, offertory, prelude and solos
- Play for one choir rehearsal each week on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. (approximately 1 ½ hrs)
- Play for special services and rehearsals including but not limited to Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve
- Consult with the Music Director on matters pertinent to piano maintenance
- Perform duties requested by the Music Director, and support all areas of the Music Ministry as needed for Sunday Services
- Always keep work areas neat and well organized, uncluttered and presentable
- Work with the Pastor and the Music Director in preparing meaningful worship services
- Play for one choir retreat during the year, typically held on a Saturday
- Must work well with others (Music Director, Pastor, other musicians, etc.), and accept input, suggestions and constructive criticism/evaluation from PUCC church leadership
- Prior church piano playing experience is strongly preferred (volunteer or paid)
- Commitment to UCC principles and teachings
- Perform music as written at all levels of difficulty
- Proficiency in playing open score when working on choir parts during rehearsals
- Improvisation skills are expected
- Have a basic knowledge of standard church music literature (choral, instrumental and congregational)
- Pass criminal and sexual misconduct background checks
Please send your resume to the Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Pianist/Accompanist Position”.
Pilgrimage United Church of Christ, 3755 Sandy Plains Road, Marietta, Georgia 30066
[Posted 13 FEB 2020]