The Cathedral of Christ the King (CTK) is a thriving parish serving close to 6,000 families in Atlanta, GA. The Cathedral, founded in 1936, became the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Atlanta in 1956. Currently, CTK serves the parish celebrating three daily masses Monday – Friday, ten weekend masses and offers over 100 ministries. The Assistant Organist and Coordinator of Children’s Choirs is a full-time position and reports to the Director of Liturgy/ Choirmaster and the Director of Music/ Cathedral Organist. The position assists the Cathedral Organist playing for five total weekend masses, Holy Days of Obligation, Thanksgiving, Holy Week liturgies, First Holy Communion, First Reconciliation, School Graduation, and other Archdiocesan and Parish masses/events as requested. This position is
responsible for all Children’s Choirs under the direction of the Choirmaster.
The Children’s Choirs have been “on hold” since March 2020. The goal is to bring them back as soon as possible. The Children’s’ Choirs include: The Cherub Choir: Open to boys and girls in Kindergarten, Pre 1st & 1st grades. The Choir seeks to develop a love for music through singing, instruments and movement. Rehearsals are weekly during the school year and singing several times a year before the Sunday 9:00 am Mass. The Preparatory Choir: Open to boys and girls in grades 2 and 3. The Choir seeks to build a foundation of beginning musical principles and an understanding of the importance of sharing one’s musical gifts. Rehearsals are weekly during the school year and singing once/month at Sunday 9:00 am Mass. The Cathedral Boy & Girl Choir: Open to choristers in grades 4 through 8. The Choir seeks to develop the gift of music in worship while learning the principles of music reading, vocal production and liturgy. Rehearsals are weekly during the school year and singing at Sunday 9:00 am Mass.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES – Children’s Choirs
• Plan all aspects of music for each of the Children’s Choirs.
• Schedule introductory meetings with parents as needed.
• Choose and teach appropriate repertoire for the liturgy.
• Schedule and conduct the weekly choir rehearsals and performances.
• Maintain and organize the choral library.
• Schedule masses in which the choirs sing: 9:00 am Sunday Mass and First
• Communicate with parents regarding rehearsals and performance.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES – Assistant Organist
• Assist Cathedral organist in playing organ for various events and masses.
• Assist and collaborate with concert logistics, coordinating visiting choirs and occasional
special music presentations.
• Attends regular staff meetings and department meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Commitment to Roman Catholic liturgy and worship
• Bachelors of Organ Performance, Choral Conducting or Sacred Music degree
• Experience working with young voices
• Excellent choir directing skills
• Excellent organ playing skills in Catholic liturgy
• Excellent skills in communication, collaboration, and administration
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Availability to carry out responsibilities in the evenings, weekends, and holidays
• An exceptional reputation as a musician and individual
• Highly competitive salary for today’s job market
• Professional development opportunities
• Vacation, health benefits, sick leave pre-established per Archdiocesan policy
Please apply with a resume, cover letter and performance video clips. Submit materials
[Posted 26 SEP 2022]