Athens First United Methodist Church, 327 North Lumpkin Street, Athens, Georgia, 30601, 706-543-1442
Full-Time Associate Director of Music and Organist
The Associate Director of Music/Organist will practice personal disciplines which will enhance the validity of the Christian faith and the ability to communicate that faith through witness and example. This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Music in all aspects of the music ministry within the church. The Associate Director of Music/Organist is supervised by the Director of Music and is accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
- Prepare service music including, but not limited to, prelude, postlude, hymn arrangements, anthem accompaniments, and other service music as needed for all worship services.
- Collaborate with the Director of Music and Senior Minister in planning and leading worship services.
- Serve as accompanist for the Sanctuary Choir, Chamber Ensemble, and all vocal and instrumental soloists.
- Maintain a practice schedule which will ensure the highest standards for service playing.
- Serve as organist for funerals, and have first right of refusal for sanctuary weddings (additional compensation).
- Perform at least one recital annually at the church.
- Oversee the maintenance of all church instruments (organ and pianos).
- Secure approved substitute keyboardists when absent.
Associate Director of Music
- Direct ensembles at the request of the Director of Music.
- Assist the Director of Music to recruit and nurture music ministry participants.
- Develop and administer a concert series.
- Assist with current music ministry ensembles and/or assist with newly formed ensembles that expand the current offerings based on the expertise of the person.
- Assist the Director of Music with administrative duties.
- Attend all staff meetings, music staff meetings, and other meetings as requested by the Senior Minister and Director of Music.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A commitment to the Christian faith and its development in others.
- Highest degree of competency as an organist and pianist, with abilities in open score reading and hymn improvisation.
- High level of creativity and demonstrated ability in the area of traditional worship.
- Work collegially with the church staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well with persons and groups of all ages.
- Previous experience in a sacred music setting.
- Knowledge of the United Methodist Church preferred.
Organ: Quimby Pipe Organs, Opus 77 (2020)
Piano: Yamaha G3
For more information about Athens First United Methodist Church visit our website: www.athensfirstumc.org
For more information about Athens, Georgia visit: https://www.visitathensga.com/
Salary commensurate with education and experience
For more information contact:
Stephen Mitchell, Director of Music
Athens First United Methodist Church
706.543.1442, ext. 215
327 North Lumpkin Street
Athens, Georgia 30601
To begin the application process, email a cover letter, resume, two references, and two samples of organ playing (one example to be hymn playing) to Stephen Mitchell at the email address above.
[Posted 12 MAY 2021]