FPC Covington Mission Statement:
FPC Covington is a Christian community existing to glorify God by welcoming all of God’s children. We celebrate through serving, teaching, praying, eating, crying, and dancing with the Holy Spirit. As works in progress, we seek to respond to God’s presence in our church, lives, and community.
PURPOSE: The Director of Music and Worship Arts will have two primary areas of responsibility:
• Music Ministry: Provide spiritual and musical leadership for choirs and congregation on Sunday worship.
• Experiential Worship Art Opportunities: Create experiences within the worship service encompassing a variety music, dance, spoken word/poetry readings, and art.
OVERVIEW: First Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Music and Worship Arts who is a servant leader, embodying spiritual and emotional maturity and a call to lead, develop, and guide our church family through musical worship and worship arts. This position requires a self-starter with a creative openness to imagining, planning, and implementing multisensory worship experiences. The Director of Music and Worship Arts will work closely with the pastor to lead Sunday worship services and cultivate spiritual formation through worship experiences. We are looking for a vibrant leader to grow and enhance the ministry for a multigenerational congregation through music and arts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Alongside the pastor, support and envision an experiential worship environment providing congregants an opportunity to encounter the living God through various worship elements such as songs, sacraments, tactile experiences, storytelling, dance, drama, and other mediums of art forms.
• Participate with the pastor and organist/accompanist, connecting music to the sermon and scriptures as directed by the pastor for weekly worship.
• Lead choirs (children and adults) and other ensembles rehearsals regularly in preparation for worship services
• Coordinate with local musicians and artists.
• Submit a schedule of music, with lyrics if required, for the Sunday bulletin in a timely manner.
• Provide special music for services as required.
• Work collaboratively with part-time organist
• Lead and Direct Handbell Choir
• Provide for the care and maintenance of all church owned musical instruments, except organ.
• Maintain music library and copyright requirements for all church music.
• Prepare and direct choir for weddings and funerals in the church as needed. These services are to be compensated separately.
• Responsible for overseeing music and worship arts line items in the operating budget.
• Participate in continuing education opportunities that will provide knowledge of trends in music and worship arts within the PCUSA.
QUALIFICATIONS: We are seeking a professional who loves and glorifies God through music, upholding the values of the Reformed tradition.
• Effective, collaborative servant leader with strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Innovative and creative musician with the ability to learn new technology.
• Choir and ensemble director who is comfortable with traditional and contemporary genres.
• Highly organized and self-motivated
• Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in music preferred, experience in worship leadership, preferably with the ability to play keyboard and/or various other instruments.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Music and Worship Arts is accountable to the pastor.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: $25,000-$29,000 part-time, 50% Health insurance covered (negotiable), $1000 in Continuing Education
If you are interested in this position, please email a cover letter and resume to Krista Firkus (email@example.com) by October 1, 2023.
[Posted 3 OCT 2023]