The Newnan Presbyterian Church is seeking an individual to fill the position of Director of Music/Choir Master
Position Description: The Director of Music/Choirmaster plays a significant role by helping to shape the musical portions of the liturgy both at the organ and directing the choir. The Director of Music works in collaboration with the Pastor and the Worship Ministry, overseeing the music program to ensure the quality, substance and appropriateness of the music in the Reformed choral tradition. The Director of Music is the organist and is responsible for the development of the choirs, both musically and spiritually, as well as other facets of the music program.
Vision for the Position: To enhance the profile of the church in the community through excellence in musical offerings. To provide an artistic and worshipful outlet for those members of the church so inclined to sing, play, and participate in the music program. To teach the importance of music in worship to all ages and to provide for the spiritual nurture of those members involved in the musical life of the congregation.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree, experience in leading church choirs, experience within the Reformed Tradition (preferred).
Start date: Negotiable, but ideally March 2020
Hours: 29.5 hours per week
Tuesday morning staff meetings
9:30 am – bulletin meeting
10:00 am – full staff meeting
Wednesday evening choir practices
5:30 pm – Voices of Praise (3rd – 6th grade)
5:30 pm – Handbell Choir
7:00 pm – Chancel Choir
Sunday Morning worship services (Labor Day – Memorial Day)
8:30 am and 11:00 am
Sunday Morning worship services (Memorial Day – Labor Day)
10:00 am only
Sunday Afternoon Worship Ministry meetings
12:15 pm – bi-monthly immediately following 11 am worship
*It is understood that a portion of the Choirmaster’s hours will potentially be spent offsite.
Compensation: Annual – Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and 30th
Effective Salary Range – $30,000 – $36,000 (negotiable)
Benefits: Social Security – 7.65% of effective salary
2 weeks of vacation time (non-consecutive weeks)
Continuing Education – negotiable
Supervision : Reports to the Senior Pastor. The Worship Ministry chair and Personnel Ministry chair will sit for semi annual performance reviews.
• Create a music program with firm roots in the Reformed choral tradition as an integral component of worship.
• Work with joy and enthusiasm to build a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere for new music program participants.
• Plan and lead music for two principal services on Sundays in addition to any other worship services requiring music (including weddings, funerals, and other services such as evensong or taize.)
• Rehearse and direct the volunteer chancel choir of mixed voices.
• Expand choral repertoire to include varying nationalities, time periods, and genres.
• Raise the musical profile of the church by inviting outside ensembles to perform/offer liturgies.
• Oversee the maintenance and preservation of the church’s organ and pianos in the sanctuary, choir room, and fellowship hall.
• Oversee maintenance of the church’s music library.
• Work within the vision of the worship ministry and the pastor to shape worship services.
• Assist as needed in the design of printed materials for use in worship services.
• Manage the music budget under the direction of the Worship Ministry.
• Select and acquire all music.
• Work professionally, enthusiastically, and productively in collaboration with the staff, church ministries, and the pastor(s).
Newnan Presbyterian Church, 38 Greenville Street, Newnan, GA 30263
Qualified Candidates should contact:
Elder Lalla McGee firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. David Jones email@example.com
[Posted 26 DEC 2019]